My folks have been talking about this kal dosai for quite some time now and so I made this to see how they like it. The dosas were really soft and spongy and paired well with the chutney.This recipe is a keeper for sure.We enjoyed this breakfast Veena :)
Recipe Source - Veg Nation
Raw rice - 1 cup
Parboiled rice- 1 cup
Whole white dal -1/2 cup
Fenugreek seeds- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Soak the raw rice and parboiled rice together for 3 hours.
- In another vessel soak the urad dal and fenugreek for 3 hours.
- Drain the water from the rice mixture and grind to a smooth batter adding little water in a wet grinder / mixie.Remove this into a large vessel.
- Next grind the urad dal and fenugreek seeds to a fluffy batter adding very little water.
- Remove this into the vessel containing the rice batter.
- Add salt to this mixture and mix well.
- Let it ferment overnight.
- The next day, gently mix the risen batter and pour a ladle full of batter on a heated griddle. Do not spread.
- Cover and cook till bubble appear and they will break and form small holes.Do not flip them over .
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
For Chettinad Chutney
Ripe tomato - 1
Grated coconut- 4 tablespoons
Fried Gram dal- 1 tablespoon
Red Chillies - 2
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves -a few
- Chop the onion and tomato.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the tomato and onion, red chillies.
- Cook till the tomato turns mushy.Remove from heat and cool.
- Grind to a smooth paste along with coconut, fried gram dal and salt.
- Remove the chutney into a serving dish.
- Heat oil for tempering.Add mustard and when it splutters add curry leaves and remove from heat.
- Pour over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with Kal dosai.
Each month,it is fun creating dishes for Taste and Create ...Would you like to join ? .Just email Min @ email@example.com with your name, blog name and a link to your blog to sign up.Hope to see you in the next edition of Taste and Create....