Paniyarams are a part of a tasty breakfast as well as a delicious snack.
I used :
Idli rice - 1 cup
Sorghum / cholam - 1 cup
Urad dal - a little less than 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
For seasoning the batter
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Onion- 1 , finely chopped
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
- Soak the rice, chollam , urad dal for 4 hours.
- Drain and grind to a fine batter using a little water. The batter should be similar to dosa batter consistency.
- Add salt and mix well.Let it sit for a couple of hours.
- Heat oil for seasoning. Put in mustard and curry leaves
- When the mustard splutters, put in onion and saute till translucent.
- Pour this into the batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan [and grease the depressions with a little oil if not using non stick pan]
- Fill the depression [3/4th] with the batter.
- When the sides crispy, turn them over and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve warm with chutney / sambar
Other types of paniyarams...
Moru Appam - Savory rice dumpling from Tamilnadu prepared from leftover dosa batter.
Kuzhi paniyaram - A specialty dish from Chettinad
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#15