In this, there are 3 medicinal ingredients – Dried neem flowers,Manathakkali vatral [dried blacknight shade] and sundakkai vatral. Along with this is urad dal , chillies, peppercorns and asafetida.
You need :
Dried neem flower- 2 tablespoons
Manathakkali vatral -2 tablespoons
Sundakkai vatral- 1 tablespoon
Urad dal- a little less than 1/2 a cup
Red chilli -1
Black peppercorns- ½ teaspoon
Asafetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
- Heat a little ghee in a pan and fry the neem flowers for a couple of minutes on low flame. Take care not to char the flowers. Remove from pan and keep aside
- Next heat a little oil in the pan and put in manathakkali vatral and sundakkai vatral. When they puff up a little, remove using a slotted ladle and keep aside.
- In the remaining oil,roast the urad dal, red chili,peppercorns and asafetida powder.
- When the dal turns brown, remove from heat and keep aside.
- When all the ingredients have cooled down, powder along with salt.
- Store in an airtight container.
Sprinkle a few teaspoons of the spice mix over piping hot steamed rice. Add a little melted ghee, mix well. This is usually eaten as the first dish in the lunch time. This too is just a few morsels and is not taken as the main meal.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#13
Earlier in this series of 'Postpartum Diet' that is a part of Blogging Marathon #13-
PostPartum period - An Introduction
Nutritional need in Postpartum Period
Nutrients / Foods That Help Fight Postpartum Depression
Manathakkali Vatral Podi
Paneer Ajwain Paratha and Vegetable Dal
Paneer Capsicum Rice
Menthiya soppu Bele Palya - Fenugreek leaves-lentil stirfry.
Peanut Coriander Chutney