Not only that, this rasam has other properties too. Moong dal, garlic, cumin used in this have lactogenic effect .[I have a special post on this topic which I will be posting laster this week].In other words these ingredients boost the production of breast milk. Also the asafoetida used is a digestive. The ghee used to fry the garlic pods have a rejuvenating effect.Turmeric powder has anti inflammatory property.
This rasam made with moong dal is very appetizing and can be had as a soup and can also be served along with steamed rice as a part of the meal.
Here is mom's recipe for Moong dal- Garlic Rasam....
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Ripe tomato- 1
Garlic pods- 10, halved
Rasam powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida- a pinch
Mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Ghee- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Pressure cook the moong dal and tomato with enough water.Cook till it is mushy else mash well and keep aside.
- Mash the tomato after removing the skin and add to the dal.
- Heat the mashed moongdal + tomato along with the water used to cook it,rasam powder,turmeric powder salt and bring to boil.
- Check the consistency. Add more water if required.Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a small pan.Add the garlic in batches and fry till brown. Transfer the fried garlic into the boiling rasam.
- When the rasam comes to a rolling boil, remove from heat.
- Heat the remaining ghee that was used to fry the garlic.Put in asafoetida powder, mustard ,cumin seeds ,curry leaves.When the mustard splutters pour it over the rasam.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Here are some of the other rasam recipes from my blog....
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#12