One of the interesting ways to use dals is in combo with rice. The amino acids in the protein are better absorbed by the body when the pulse and rice are eaten together in the same meal.Read this article to find out more about why grains and pulse combination is an excellent way to obtain all the amino acids....
In the Indian diet, there are so many dishes that are cooked with grains and pulses together. Here is one popular dish - Idli - a combo of rice and urad dal, that is given a twist to make it all the more appealing..There is no specific instructions for this delicious recipe. Adjust the quantity to suit your taste buds...
Fresh Curd / Yogurt
Red chilli powder
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Whisk the curd with salt and keep aside.
- Cube/ cut the idli into wedges.
- Arrange the idli pieces on a serving tray.
- Spoon out the curd over the idlis.
- Sprinkle chaat masala and red chilli powder
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- You can also use left over idlis. Heat them in a microwave/ steam again in a idli cooker.
- Chaat masala and red chilli powder can be whisked into the curd along with salt.
- The curd mixture can also be seasoned with mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves and then poured over the idli.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to find out what my fellow bloggers are cooking this week....
This Day That Year...
2011 - Curried Pumpkin Soup and roundup of Complete My Thali - Subzi
2010 - Sukku Malli Kashayam - A kitchen remedy for dizziness/ upset tummy / nausea / indigestion / lack of appetite.
2008 - Microwave Basics