I came up with this recipe a few days ago when I was feeling so bored in the afternoon and wanted to cook something different and exotic[That usually happens to me-Boring = go and cook something]. I had to prepare dinner earlier as we had plans to go shopping . A side dish would be the perfect thing to cook ahead and so this dish came up in my mind. It took an hour from start to finish. I had made paneer earlier that day with no idea what to make with it and used it here.
When dinner was served hubby was the first one to taste it and he was literally spell bound. I am not exaggerating here. He loved it so much. Lil angel loved the koftas and Mil made no comments about the gravy. When she came into the kitchen later that night she praised it. She said it was just like the ones served in restaurants and hubby who happened to pass that side peeped in to comment that it tasted better than the restaurant food!!
All those rich and creamy ingredients had worked their magic on the dish and I got praised for it!!!!
Homemade paneer from ¾ liter milk [ make sure that the whey is completely drained out]
Coarsely ground pista – 2 tablespoons
Khus- khus seeds -2 teaspoons
Tomato puree- 1 cup
Onion- 2, sliced
Ginger garlic paste- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds -1 teaspoon
Yogurt -1 cup
Whole spices – cardamom seeds from 2 pods, cloves -2 , cinnamon- a small piece.
Kasuri methi -1 tablepoon
Red chilli powder -1 ½ teaspoons
Coriander powder -1 teaspoon
Cumin powder -1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Butter -1 tablespoon
Oil to deep fry
1. Soak khus khus seeds in the smallest jar of ur blender.[It is a lot easier this way than soaking it in a cup and then transferring to the blender jar as half of them get stuck to your finger / spoon / the cup]
2. Microwave almonds in a cup of water for 2 minutes and when cool remove the skin[and discard] and keep aside[the almonds].
3. Heat butter in a pan and sauté onion till brown. Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
4. Grind the almonds along with the soaked khus khus to a fine paste and keep aside.
5. In a bowl take crumbled paneer and coarsely powdered pista and mix well. Make small balls and deep fry in oil and keep aside.
6. Heat a little oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and whole spices.
7. When the cumin crackles, put in the ginger garlic paste and onion paste. Cook for a minute.
8. Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and mix well.
9. Add around ½ a cup of water and bring to boil.
10. Now put in the ground almond-khus-khus paste and mix well.
11. Simmer for 5 minutes and add the yogurt.
12. Adjust consistency by adding water/ milk.Simmer for 10 minutes.
13. Add the kasuri methi and remove from heat.
14. When you are ready to serve, heat the gravy once again and bring to boil and add the fried koftas.Simmer for a couple of seconds .
Serve with Roti / Chapathi
Though the ingredient list and the steps are lengthy, this is a true treat. Served with Chapathi / Roti, every bite is pure bliss.
We,Srivalli,Monika, Jayasree , Priya Suresh, Azeema, Priya Srinivasan, Reva ,Ayeesha , Soumya and Veena
and myself are doing a blogging marathon this month.Check out what's cooking in their kitchen...