Recipe source- My mom
Brinjal - 1/2 a kilo,cut lenghth wise and immersed in a bowl of cold water
Milagai Podi ,coarsely ground - As required
Gram dhal-1 tablespoon
Red chillies- 2 broken into bits
Curry leaves-a few
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard and gram dhal,red chillies and curry leaves.
- Drain the brinjal and add to the pan as soon as the mustard splutters
- Sprinkle a little water and cook till the brinjal is 90% cooked
- Put in the milagai podi.The quantity depends on your taste.I use around 4 tablespoons for 1/2 a kilo brinjal.I like the curry with more podi.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Remove from heat after a couple of minutes.
This curry tastes awesome when mixed with piping hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee and is a great combo with curd rice.
Adapted from Sig's Spicy Baby Eggplants
Brinjal -1/4 kilo,cut lenght wise and immersed in a bowl of cold water
Onion - 1, thinly sliced
Green chillies- 2 ,chopped
Ginger garlic paste-1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder -1 teaspoon
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Garam masala - 1/2 a teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 teaspoons
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard seeds, curry leaves.
- When it splutters put in the onion and green chillies.Saute till the onion is sofy.
- Make a paste of chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste with a little water.
- Add this to the onion and cook on low flame till the raw smell disappears.
- Drain the brinjal from the water and put into the pan.
- Add garam masala and mix well so that the masala coats the brinjal pieces.
- Cook till the brinjal is soft yet has a litlle crunch.
- Remove from heat and serve as a side dish with rice dishes.
This goes to Jagruti's Complete My Thali event hosted here with the theme Sabji
We,Srivalli,Monika, Jayasree , Priya Suresh, Azeema, Priya Srinivasan, Reva ,Ayeesha , Soumya and Veena
and myself are doing a blogging marathon this month.Check out what's cooking in their kitchen...