Here is another spice mix joining the group and I call it 'Multi purpose'.If your molagai podi container is empty or you don't have time to prepare chutney,use this mix instead.If u want to spice up your variety rice preparation,add a couple of teaspoons of this mix.If you have just steamed rice and not in a mood to prepare anything else,saute a little chopped onion and put over the steamed rice.Add this spice mix and a little sesame oil and you have a yummy spice mix rice ready.So, I am not right in calling this Multi purpose!
You can prepare it ahead and store in a n air tight container.Keeps well for several months.
I think this is going to be the last entry for Jaya's Back to Basics event as I feel I have bombarded her inbox with too many entries.
Channa dhal-1 cup
Toor dhal-1 cup
Urad dhal,white-1/4 cup
Raw rice-a handful
Sesame seeds-2 tablepoons
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Red chillies- 10
Garlic-5 pods ,crushed
Curry leaves- a handful
Rock salt - to taste [You can also use the regular salt]
Asafoetida powder- a generous pinch
- Dry roast sesame seeds till fragrant and they start to crackle.Keep aside.
- Do the same for curry leaves till they are crisp.Keep aside.
- Put in rock salt,asafoetida and garlic and keep stirring on low flame for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in the same pan and put in all other ingredients and roast on medium flame till all the ingredients turn brown.Take care not to char them.
- Spread them on a plate and let them cool.
- Powder all the ingredients.You can make it coarse or fine to suit your taste.
- Leave them on a plate for sometime to cool incase they heat up during the powdering process.
- Store in an airtight container and use as required.